Operating with constant load provides better service results continuously. Avoid abrupt load or speed change as possible. Regular checks and measures mentioned should be carried out during normal operation, which will contribute to earlier detection of any abnormality. The most important actions required during normal operation are as follows;
1. Checking during Normal Operation
- Check and record engine performance according to the format of shop test report or the like. Any unusually high or low temperature or pressure should be investigated.
- Check operating condition of fuel supply system.
- Check fuel oil temperature of engine inlet.
In case the engine is running on HFO, viscosity of HFO should be controlled by heating properly. High viscosity cause excessive fuel injection pressure and may result damage of fuel injection system. In case the engine is running on Diesel Fuel Oil, the oil should be cooled properly. Otherwise, the viscosity will be too low, which may cause sticking of fuel pump plunger.
- Watch the color of exhaust gas out of funnel.
- Sound the engine operating noise.
- Check condition of filter for turbocharger and pressure drop of filters for lubricating oil and fuel oil to avoid any interruption of continuous operation due to alarm or shutdown.
- Check air venting of cooling water circuit and fuel oil circuit, which should be opened during operation.
Not sufficient air venting may cause hammering and damage of the systems due to severe vibration.
- Check water drain pipes from engine block opened and drain quantity, which will contribute to clarify whether the water source from normal condensation or leakage of cooling water.
- Check drain hole of cylinder head for the detection of cooling water or combustion gas between cylinder head and liner.
- Check drain pipe for fuel oil and dirty oil, which will contribute to clarify whether the normal drain from fuel injection pump or any leakage around covered cylinders.
- Check oil level and the condition by sampling and analysis.
- Check the condition of cooling water by sampling to inspect whether the inhibitor is still active or it there is any rust included.
- Check drain pipe of cooling water pump. If leakage of oil or water detected, the pump should be overhauled and maintenanced.