Operating the engine with the load of below 20% may cause incomplete combustion and result fouling of combustion chamber as well as air and exhaust gas flow passages. Therefore, long term low load operation should be avoided as possible. However, if it is inevitable to operate the engine at lower than 20% load for a long time continuously, following measures should be carried out to minimize contamination of the engine inside.
- Operating duration should be restricted as below.
- Idle running: maximum 5 minutes.
- Running below 15% on MDO or below 20% on HFO: maximum 100 hours
- Flushing operation should be carried out over 70% load on MDO for at least 30 minutes everyday.
- More frequent cleaning of turbine is recommended.